Over 70% of big companies use gamification strategies on social media. And you can also use such strategies to spice up your social media presence.
Contests can engage people in any industry. They help you reach your target audience which can potentially become your customers.
And these days, contests are very common and help in boosting social media presence. When it comes to contests, one can choose from many different types.
But I’ve seen many small businesses using contests and still not boosting their engagement. That’s why, today I have some really cool contest ideas you can use for your business.
These ideas can be incorporated on any of your social media channels like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
I will also walk you through some great examples of different contest ideas to help you make your contest better.
So let’s begin.
- Facebook Contest Ideas
- Twitter Contest Ideas
- Instagram Contest Ideas
- Best Apps and Tools for Contests
Facebook Contest Ideas
Before running any contests on Facebook, make sure you read Facebook guidelines. I would recommend you to use a third party application to run a Facebook contest.
This is because the guidelines clearly state that:
“Promotions on Facebook must be administered within Apps on Facebook.com, either on a Canvas Page or a Page App.”
Apart from this, avoid making these mistakes that will make your Facebook contest a huge flop. Here some ideas you can use to run a Facebook contest.
1. Like to Win
This is the most effective way to grow your Facebook audience and build some real fans. One simple contest can boost your engagement.
You just need to create a post asking people to like the post to win. You can choose winners randomly. Such contests are called Sweepstakes. Running these contests weekly or monthly will help you in gaining more likes and fans.
Here is a great example:
Qwertee is a t-shirt maker company that sells really cool t-shirts which are cheap. They created a weekly like post to win the contest.
As a prize, they offered their awesome t-shirts. Their goal was to reach 100,000 Facebook likes. This contest was held every week and they were able to reach their goal.
Before you run any type of contest, remember to set a goal. This way you will be able to track your progress.
One more reason to set goals is that you can reverse engineer the whole process and achieve your goals very easily.
Suppose you want to run a contest on Facebook asking people to like your page and post. Your goal is to get 1000 likes. So now you can work backward to achieve the goal. One post asking for likes is giving you 200 likes on your page.
To get 1000 likes how many times you need to run a contest?
Just if you suck at math, you need to post a contest 5 times. How cool is that?
Try out like to win the contest and measure the ROI of your contest. If it’s working great, run the contest a few more times.
But if your like to win is not building some engagement, try out the next contest.
2. Comment to Win
Sometimes like to win contests do not engage users because they will just like and forget. You need to engage your users so that they like your posts and also leave a comment.
You can do this by comment to win contests.
Ask people a question about your product/business and pick the best comment as the winner. But remember that such contests work great if you do them weekly or monthly.
The reason behind this is that they will follow your page so that they can get updates about any contest. Not doing such contests weekly or monthly will lead users unlike your page. I am sure you don’t want that to happen.
You might be wondering how to get comments?
Well it’s easy. Post a picture with a question and ask people to comment to win. Still confused?
Take a look here:
Want more ideas? Here you go:
- Fill in the blanks
- Add a photo and ask users to caption it
- Answer the following question correctly to win
- Tell us why you should win?
If you want maximum exposure and also want the contest to be sweet and simple, this is the right choice for you.
This will help you increase your Facebook reach and get more people like your page. This will also help you increase your engagement.
And it’s pretty simple. Post about your contest and tell them that they will get one extra entry each for liking, sharing and commenting on the post.
Unless you have a huge page with likes, I am sure picking the winner will not be a nightmare for you. Just find people who have done all the three tasks and pick the winner randomly.
Here is an example of this type of contest.
In this post, they have asked to submit their entry. It’s not necessary for you to do that. But if want to save time, go ahead and ask users to submit their entry.
4. Photo Contest
Photo contests are wildly popular and will really grow your business. These do not just help in increasing page engagement but also in getting more customers.
You can ask your fans to comment a photo. Pick the best photo as the winner. This helps in generating buzz and makes your campaign successful.
Facebook Contest Ideas Examples
Here are some great ideas you can use and create your own contest:
- Comment your favorite [Company Name] product and get 20% discount next time you visit us.
- #SefieContest Visit our store, buy something and post a selfie in the comments to win 100$ discount coupon.
- How would you use our [Product Name]? Comment down some creative ways and get a free [Prize].
- Competition Time! The first to comment on this post wins a free [Product Name].
- Who wants a free trip to Spain? Upload your best holiday photo and get a chance to win 2 tickets to Spain.
- Caption this picture. The best caption wins!
- It’s Halloween! Dress up and post your picture in the comments. The best costume wins a [Your Prize].
- What do you like the most about [Product Name]? The best answer wins.
- What would be your last selfie on Earth look like? Post your picture in the comments and win a $20 discount.
- We are about to reach X fan likes. Like us and win a 5$ discount coupon.
Twitter Contest Ideas
Most businesses claim that contests on Twitter do not work great. Well, get ready to be proven wrong!
I am going to show you some cool ideas for Twitter contests with examples.
1. Like Tweet to Win
Just like Facebook, you can create contests that asks people to like your Tweet to win. I don’t think we need to go into more details as it is the same as discussed above.
2. Tweet/Retweet to Win
Tweet to win contest will help you grow your Twitter reach and gain more followers. One more way to get more followers is to ask people to use a particular hashtag.
The hashtag can be anything you like. You can create a hashtag about your own product also.
When it comes to contests, Starbucks is the king. Their “tweet-a-coffee” marketing campaign generated $180,000 in purchases.
They offered a $5 gift card to people who bought a coffee for anyone by tweeting @tweetacoffee. This generated a lot of buzz among coffee lovers and more than 27,000 people were engaged with this campaign.
So if you’re still skeptical about Twitter contests, don’t worry. There are more examples to come.
3. Tweet A Photo
You can also run a photo contest on Twitter to reach your fans and grow your business. But photo contests are usually ignored by people on Twitter unless you’re a big brand.
So I would advise you to first try out retweet contests.
Twitter Contests Ideas Examples
Try out these ideas for Twitter contests:
- Tweet a photo with the hashtag [Your Hashtag] and win a $5 gift card.
- Retweet this photo and get a chance to win a discount coupon.
- How do you use [Product Name]? The best answer wins.
- Caption this photo and win a $10 gift card.
- Tell us your experience with [Product] and we’ll pick a winner from the comments.
- Retweet this and tell us why you should win [Your Prize].
- We are offering $50 discount to our latest buyer. Tell us why you need to use [Product]? The best answer will be given the discount coupon.
- What is it like to use [Product]? Winners will be announced tomorrow.
- What will be your reaction if you win [Product] for free? Tweet a photo and enter the contest to win [Prize].
- Tweet “@[Product’s Twitter Handle] is awesome!” to get a 25% discount on your next purchase.
Instagram Contest Ideas
If you want to grow your Instagram following, a contest will do wonders for you. Instagram Brand Engagement Ranks Highest at 4.21%. This is 58 times higher than Facebook and 120 times higher than Twitter.
Now I think you realize the importance of Instagram for your brand. So here are some contest ideas you can incorporate on your Instagram marketing.
1. Double Tap to Win
Did you see what I just here?
So if you’re holding a like to win contest on Instagram, you should be asking users to double tap on the photo which means liking the photo.
Add a picture of what you’re giving away for free and ask people to like it. Always use hashtags on Instagram. Why?
Because, posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6 percent more engagement. Use relevant hashtags to reach your target audience.
2. Comment to Win
Again comment to win contests will help you engage users. Post a photo and ask users to comment on it. Simple.
COMMENT TO WIN – What do you like most about Targa Tasmania? Use #ilikeTargaTas to enter www.targa.com.au – T&C’s apply #TargaTasmania #TargaTas #TT #25thAnniversary #Tasmania #Launceston #Hobart #TargaAustralia #Tasmania #Targa #CarRacing #Cars #TarmacRally @tasmania #CAMS #Rallysafe www.targa.com.au
3. Photo Contests
Photo contests on Instagram are very popular. But to make your contest stellar, you need to try some creative ways to engage people.
One creative way to do this is to host a selfie photo contest. This is what Wedding Wire did. Take a look here:
There are many ways to host a photo contest. You can ask people to post photos of your products. If you sell products in a store, you can ask people to post a photo while in the store.
Also follow these 47 tips to make sure your Instagram photo contest is successful.
Instagram Contests Ideas Examples
Finally, you can use these ready-made titles for your Instagram and start engaging people.
- We are offering 50% discount on [Product] to the couple with the best selfie. Post your selfie with the hashtag [Your hashtag] and get a chance to win.
- Comment on this picture and tell us why you need [Product]. Winner will be chosen randomly.
- Go to our local store and buy [Product]. To get a 20% discount, post a selfie with our product in the store.
- Double-tap on this picture and get a 5$ discount coupon.
- Do you love [Movie Name]? We are offering 2 tickets to [Movie]. To win these tickets, tell us why you want to watch this movie.
- Why would you recommend [Product] to people? Like this picture and comment down your answer. Winner will recieve a gift hamper worth $50.
- Who wants to fly to Brazil? Post a selfie with the hashtag [Hashtag] and get a chance to win 2 free tickets to Brazil.
- Who invented the first computer? The first answer will win a limited edition [Product] t-shirt.
- Have any weekend plans? Get a free helicopter ride! Like this picture and comment why you want to win. Winners will be announced tomorrow.
- Caption this picture to win a discount coupon worth $100. Winners will be announced tomorrow.
Best Apps and Tools for Contests
As I mentioned above, always use third-party applications for hosting any contest. But again you would have to search for these applications. There are many tools for social media and each of them do different tasks. So finding apps for contests is difficult.
To save your time, I have listed some of the best apps you can use for running social media competitions.
Woobox will help you create interactive apps that will help you host contests. You can create different types of contest pages. You can choose from sweepstakes, quizzes, photo contests many more apps.
The pricing is very affordable too. You can get the basic features of Woobox for free. But this will not include apps like sweepstakes and photo contests. For more features, you will have to upgrade to their higher plans which starts from $30/month and reach up to $3000/month.
2. Short Stack
Creating contests with Short Stack is very easy. It works with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and many other platforms.
You can also track the performance of your campaigns. The pricing is also very affordable for small businesses. You can create a free account which will allow you 5000 campaign views.
The paid plans start from $29/month to $499/month.
Heyo is another option for you that will help you create sweepstakes and other contests. But this one will not provide you any free plan.
The pricing starts from $29/month to $149/month. But you can get a free 30-day trial here.
Wishpond provides more than just competition tools. They provide a set of awesome marketing tools. And with these tools you can create contests and promotion apps.
You can create sweepstakes, photo contests, Instagram hashtags contests and many more. The pricing starts from $25/month to $129/month.
You can start you free trial and test this awesome tool.
SnapApp lets you create interactive content more easily. You can create a wide variety of tools and also track your performance in the analytics.
The pricing of SnapApp is very high. The most basic plan starts from $1,650/month and goes up to $3,600/month. So before you make any decision, try out the demo first.
So these were some really cool contest ideas you can try. You can also try the examples of some contests I listed. At last, I want you to download this list of contests ideas and examples you can run on your social media profiles.